621 Area Code
- A telephone numbering plan is a type of numbering scheme used in telecommunications to allocate telephone numbers to subscribers and to route telephone calls in a telephone network. A closed numbering plan, such as found in North America, imposes a fixed total length to numbers.
- The Chinese Telephone Code Plan is the way to group telephone numbers in the mainland of the People’s Republic of China. Land lines and mobile phones follow different systems: land lines use area codes, while mobile phones do not.
- A three-digit number that identifies one of the telephone service regions into which the US, Canada, and certain other countries are divided and that is dialed when calling from one area to another
- a number usually of 3 digits assigned to a telephone area as in the United States and Canada
- * May 28—Battle of Hulao: Li Shimin defeats the numerically superior army of Dou Jiande. * June 4—Wang Shichong surrenders to Li Shimin following Dou Jiande’s defeat.
- 621 may refer to: *The year **621 A.D. **621 B.C. *The number 621 *Experiment 621, aka “Chopsuey” from video game *Flavour Enhancer 621 – Monosodium glutamate
- 600 (six hundred) is the natural number following 599 and preceding 601. It is a pronic number and a Harshad number.
Corsairs served with the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marines, Fleet Air Arm and the Royal New Zealand Air Force, as well the French Navy Aeronavale and other services postwar. It quickly became the most capable carrier-based fighter-bomber of World War II. Demand for the aircraft soon overwhelmed Vought’s manufacturing capability, resulting in production by Goodyear (as the FG-1) and Brewster (as the F3A-1). From the first prototype delivery to the U.S. Navy in 1940, to final delivery in 1953 to the French, 12,571 F4U Corsairs were manufactured by Vought, in 16 separate models.
The performance of the Corsair was impressive. The F4U-1 was considerably faster than the F6F Hellcat and only 13 mph (21 km/h) slower than the P-47 Thunderbolt,both of the two other fighters also being powered by the R-2800. But while the P-47 achieved its highest speed at 30,020 feet (9,150 m) with the help of an intercooled turbosupercharger, the F4U-1 reached its maximum speed at 19,900 ft (6,100 m), and used a mechanically supercharged engine.
Carrier qualification trials on the escort carrier USS Sangamon, on 25 September 1942, caused the U.S. Navy to release the type to the United States Marine Corps. Early Navy pilots spoke disparagingly of the F4U as the "hog", "hosenose" or "bent wing widow-maker". After all, the U.S. Navy still had the Grumman F6F Hellcat, which did not have the performance of the F4U but was a far better deck landing aircraft. The Marines needed a better fighter than the F4F Wildcat. For them it was not as important the F4U could be recovered aboard a carrier, as they usually flew from land bases. Growing pains aside, Marine Corps squadrons readily took to the radical new fighter
Despite the decision to issue the F4U to Marine Corps units, two Navy units, VF-12 (October 1942) and later VF-17 (April 1943) were equipped with the F4U. By April 1943, VF-12 had successfully completed deck landing qualification. However, VF-12 soon abandoned its aircraft to the Marines. VF-17 kept its Corsairs, but was removed from its carrier, USS Bunker Hill, due to perceived difficulties in supplying parts at sea. In November 1943, while operating as a shore-based unit in the Solomon Islands, VF-17 reinstalled the tail hooks so its F4Us could land and refuel while providing top cover over the task force participating in the carrier raid on Rabaul. The squadron’s pilots successfully landed, refueled and took off from their former home, Bunker Hill and the USS Essex on 11 November 1943.
The U.S. Navy did not get into combat with the type until September 1943 and the Royal Navy’s FAA would qualify the type for carrier operations first. The U.S. Navy finally accepted the F4U for shipboard operations in April 1944, after the longer oleo strut was fitted, which finally eliminated the tendency to bounce. The first Corsair unit to be based effectively on a carrier was the pioneer USMC squadron, VMF-124, which joined Essex. They were accompanied by VMF-213. The increasing need for fighters as a protection against kamikaze attacks resulted in more Corsair units being moved to carriers.
From February 1943 onward, the F4U operated from Guadalcanal and ultimately other bases in the Solomon Islands. A dozen USMC F4U-1s of VMF-124, commanded by Major William E. Gise, arrived at Henderson Field (code name "Cactus") on 12 February. The first recorded combat engagement was on 14 February 1943, when Corsairs of VMF-124 under Major Gise assisted P-40s and P-38s in escorting a formation of B-24 Liberators on a raid against a Japanese aerodrome at Kahili. Japanese fighters contested the raid and the Americans got the worst of it, with four P-38s, two P-40s, two Corsairs and two Liberators lost. No more than four Japanese Zeros were destroyed. A Corsair was responsible for one of the kills, although this was due to a midair collision. The fiasco was referred to as the "Saint Valentine’s Day Massacre".Although the Corsair’s combat debut was not impressive, the Marines quickly learned how to make better use of the aircraft and started demonstrating its superiority over Japanese fighters. By May the Corsair units were getting the upper hand, and VMF-124 had produced the first Corsair ace, Second Lieutenant Kenneth A. Walsh, who would rack up a total of 21 kills during the war.
I learned quickly that altitude was paramount. Whoever had altitude dictated the terms of the battle, and there was nothing a Zero pilot could do to change that
The Riverside-West End Historic District, encompassing some 265 buildings, extends from 85th Street to 95th Street along Riverside Drive and from 87th Street to 94th Street along West End Avenue and includes the side street blocks connecting the two avenues and portions of four blocks extending eastward of West End Avenue.
A remarkably large concentration of architecturally distinctive and unspoiled residential buildings of high quality are found in the Riverside-West End Historic District. These are characteristic of the development of the Upper West Side west of Broadway during the period from 1884 to 1939. The district encompasses a number of residential building types representing different phases of development. An individual mansion on Riverside Drive and speculatively-built rowhouses, designed as harmonious groups, are characteristic of the earliest phase, roughly 1884 to 1901.
The rowhouses are located on the side streets and on portions of West End Avenue. Apartment buildings lining the avenues were constructed during two phases, before and after World War I (1895-1917 and 1921-1939). Six- and seven-story elevator flats as seen on West 93rd Street, dating from the turn of the century, correspond to the late phase of rcwhouse development and the early phase of apartment building development.
The curving street wall of Riverside Drive acts as a counterpoint to the formal north/south axis of West End Avenue, each artery framing the domestic scale of the rowhouses in between.
This section of the city, which had been largely undeveloped previously, offered numerous advantages of location, especially its situation next to Riverside Park facing the Hudson River. Topography was also a factor in defining this section of the Upper West Side. A plateau between 79th and 94th Streets, one of the higher points along Riverside Drive, made this area desirable for high quality residential development.
Mansions appeared along Riverside Drive in the late 1880s, and by the end of the nineteenth century the side streets and Vest End Avenue within the area of the district were developed with rowhouses. The desirability of location was undoubtedly a factor in the redevelopment of the avenues with some of the area’s finest apartment buildings, particularly Riverside Drive with its park and river views.
West End Avenue and Riverside Drive within the district derive much of their quality from the apartment houses which began to be built by the early twentieth century, as the economics of residential building activity changed and apartment living became a more widely accepted alternative to the single-family house for prosperous residents. During the first four decades of the century, apartment buildings were constructed on lots speculatively-held for a long time or replaced groups of rowhouses on West End Avenue and mansions on Riverside Drive.
There were two general periods of apartment building construction: (1) 1895-1917, the buildings range in height from seven to twelve stories and tend to have more exterior ornament -and larger, more spacious interior plans with high ceilings; (2) 1921-1939, the buildings are somewhat larger with an average of fifteen stories, display more restrained facade treatments and have lower ceilings and smaller plans for the individual apartments.
In conformance with the provisions in the city’s building codes, the buildings of the later phase were built to a consistent height of fifteen stories right to the property line, creating building walls which help define the linear quality of West End Avenue and the winding curves of Riverside Drive. Building facades along these avenues are generally characterized by simple wall surfaces with the base and upper level elaborately embellished with ornament inspired by the Beaux-Arts, Renaissance, Gothic, and Romanesque styles.
With its curves that break with the regular street grid and its situation overlooking Riverside Park, the portion of Riverside Drive within the district has a particularly strong character which is further reinforced by the uniform building wall of the apartment buildings. In some instances the building facades conform to the curves or fit within oddly-shaped lots.
The curves of the drive also create some very short side street blocks between Riverside and West End, which slope down toward the park. This in turn makes residents and pedestrians on the side streets very aware of the presence of Riverside Park, just outside of the boundary of the district. The northern portion of Riverside Drive within the district is especially picturesque due to the island containing the Joan of Arc statue lined by a quiet service road which is separated from the rest of Riverside Park. The Rice Mansion (1901-03, Herts & Tallant) at 89th Street is one of only two of the mansions which once dotted Riverside Drive to survive today.
The portion of West End Avenue